Sunday, October 30, 2016

Whole30 and Weightlifting Outcomes

I recently completed a Whole30 for the month of September. I honestly did not put a whole lot of thought or planning into it before I started. The husband did this with me for a week and then decided he couldn't handle it and put dairy and some grains back in. He also had a work trip where he had a beer but all in all he complied with the rules about 80% of the time over the month. He lost about 8lbs and 2 inches off his waist and seems to have lost a bit more over the last month. Here's a general overview of how it went:

Totals = 7lbs lost, 2 inches off the waist, lost a cup and a band size. I really should have done those dreaded before and after photos.


Week 1: Felt fatigued, had a headache and some strong cravings. I definitely could not lift as much as I usually can. I only worked out twice this week. Struggling to find options for breakfast.

Week 2: Felt super bloated, lots of gas, and diarrhea. Workouts were sluggish and short. Sick of eggs and meat.

Week 3: Bloating gone, feeling svelte, definitely lost inches. Workouts were better, not making any gains but back to normal. Hit a routine with food.

Week 4: Feeling fantastic. My energy level is higher than ever. I am sleeping better than I have in a long time. No PR's but I was in the accumulation phase so that's to be expected. Felt like I could eat like this forever.

First indulgence post Whole30 was wine. This was my one thing that I didn't expect to be able to abstain from and I did. I had attempted to keep this to weekend consumption but I have not succeeded at that.

I have been eating Whole30 meals for about 75% of my meals throughout October and I think we will continue this as a lifestyle. I ate lots of eggs, avocado and salad for breakfast with the occasional chia seed pudding. Lunch was leftovers and if I had nothing a can of salmon on salad. Dinner was a meat and a vegetable. We had some really tasty food like shakshuka that we never would have otherwise tried.

Staples = Avocados, Boxed Salad, Eggs, Sugar Free bacon, hamburger patties, root veggies, sweet potatoes, and cauliflower.

No comments: